- Keep File names short
- If necessary use abbreviations. e.g.
- Management = MGT
- Accounting = ACTG
- Market = MKT
- Dynamic Online Systems = DOS
- Microsoft = MS
- Use Date in the document name. (Only for individual files, which are not linked like webpages). i.e. dosstationary-21-02-2001, dosstationary(21-02-2001).
- Keep file names bellow 27 characters.
- Use same text case (lower / upper) for the files in a same folder. Preferred to keep all the files in lower case.
- Don’t use underscores, spaces etc. in file names.
- If you need to break the rule, be consistent about it.
- Keep names short
- Nest folders within folders
- Separate ongoing and completed work
- Store like with like. (same file type in a separate folder, like all images in one folder for a project)